“Mousse au Chocolat is delicious, but unfortunately it is complicated to prepare and far too high in calories.” – What applies to the classic version of this dessert, however, does not apply to chocolate with chocolate with Aquafaba. It consists of only two ingredients, is ready in no time and is considerably lower in calories than the classic version. On request, it is even vegan. Many good reasons to try this Aquafaba mousse!
Prepare chocolate mousse with Aquafaba
With the next chickpea dish, you can include a chocolate mousse as a dessert, because in the glass or in the can you can find the cooking water in addition to the legumes. The so-called Aquafaba is much too good to be thrown away and ideally suited for recycling – for example for this dessert.
All you need for about four servings of chocolate mousse with Aquafaba is:
- approx. 250 ml Aquafaba – corresponds approximately to the amount that is contained in a large can of chickpeas (800 g)
- 150 g chocolate – a (vegan) chocolate with a high cocoa content fits best; Even chocolate leftovers from Easter or Christmas can be consumed in this way
- optionally about 2 tablespoons of sugar
- optionally 1 tsp Guar gum or Locust bean gum as a binder to make the mousse particularly firm
If you wish, you can also add other ingredients to the mousse, for example with a little vanilla aroma, a hint of cinnamon or for an extra creamy taste with one or two tablespoons (homemade) vegetable cream.
How to prepare the Aquafaba mousse:
- Drain the chickpeas, catch the Aquafaba and measure 250 milliliters.
- Melt chocolate in a water bath. Mix in the vegetable cream and spices if desired. Set the melted chocolate aside and let it cool down a bit.
- Meanwhile, whisk the Aquafaba in a clean, fat-free bowl with a mixer to create fine-pored foam. This may take a few minutes.
- Optionally mix sugar and the binder and add to the Aquafaba foam. Continue stirring until a firm foam is formed, which forms tips when the mixing sticks are pulled out.
- Add the cooled but still liquid chocolate and carefully fold in with a spoon or a spatula. Do not mix any more, otherwise the foam will collapse.
- Put the mousse in small bowls and put in the fridge for a few hours until it is well chilled and firm.
You can also decorate the chocolate mousse to serve, for example with chocolate shavings or a dollop of vegetable cream. Good Appetite!
Tip: Another way to make Aquafaba into a delicious dessert is this recipe for vegan meringues.
You can find more ideas and recipes to recycle food residues and thereby avoid waste in our book:
How do you use the cooking water from chickpeas and beans? We look forward to a comment under this post!
Get inspiration from these posts to save even more garbage: