Those who prefer to do without cow’s milk are spoiled for choice between numerous plant-based milk alternatives, almost all of which can also be made by yourself. Pea milk is particularly rich in vegetable protein and also suitable for people with gluten intolerance and nut allergy.
The regional plant drink can be made from peeled peas and water in just a few steps and can be sweetened to taste. It is particularly suitable as a healthy milk alternative in hearty dishes such as soups, sauces, puree or pancakes. Maybe you would like to try the still rather unknown pea drink right away!
Pea milk recipe
As with the production of other milk alternatives, it is also advisable to allow some time for the peas to soak and cook the peas. The actual preparation takes only a few minutes.
For a portion of pea milk you need the following ingredients:
- 120 g yellow peeled peas (in a health food store or on-line available)
- 1 liter of tap water + water for soaking and boiling
- optional sweetness of your choice according to taste, for example 2-3 dates
- optional 1 pinch of salt
- optional 1 tsp lecithin powder (as a natural emulsifier ensures that the pea milk does not separate faster)
Tip: Lecithin is available as a powder or as a soluble granulate in health food stores, health food stores and on-line available. Variants that are also produced regionally are sunflower lecithin and rapeseed lecithin.
How the pea drink is made:
- Put the peas in a bowl, cover with cold water and let them soak for about 12 hours – the soaking time helps to improve digestibility.
- Pour the soaked peas through a sieve and place them in a saucepan with fresh water. Cook in 20-30 minutes.
- Drain the cooked peas through a sieve, let them cool and put them in a blender together with a liter of fresh tap water and the optional ingredients (a smoothie mixer at high speed is best).
- Puree everything until a homogeneous mass is created.
- If necessary, pour through a cheesecloth or a (homemade) nut milk bag. In contrast to other types of vegetable milk, additional filtering makes the pea milk very thin to watery. Anyone who wants to enjoy them in the muesli or use them for cooking can do without filtering.
Pea milk is best enjoyed cool and consumed promptly. If it works properly, it will keep in the fridge for about two to three days. The homemade pea drink tastes clearly of pea and is therefore probably not everyone’s taste. Solid particles also settle very quickly, which can be easily reversed by shaking them.
If you are looking for a healthy, particularly protein-rich milk alternative, you can definitely enrich your menu with this somewhat special plant milk. Especially as a kitchen ingredient for hearty dishes, it is a great alternative to cow’s milk or animal cream.
You can find more recipes for homemade alternatives that are healthy to avoid packaging waste in our book:
Which milk alternative do you prefer to use? Share your experience with us in a comment!
There are more interesting topics here: